How to make Usuyaki Tamago
2 large Eggs
2 tsp castor sugar (fine sugar)
1 Tbsp tsp dashi or water
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cornstarch blended with 1/2 tsp water if crepes are to be used for wraps. If for Kinshi Tamago (shredded crepes) for Chirashi no need to add this ingredient.
1. In a bowl add the eggs, sugar, dashi (or water) salt and cornstarch mixture if the crepes are to be used for wraps. Beat the mixture with a whisk till thoroughly mixed.
2. Pour the egg mixture through a fine mesh sieve. This will help to smooth out the omelet so there won't be any lumps.
3. Lightly oil the pan and set it to low heat.
4. Pour a thin layer of batter in the pan tilting it from side to side to evenly spread egg mixture.
5. When the edges are dry and the middle is just starting to set, use a non-stick spatula sprayed or wiped with oil to flip the omelet over.
6. Cook for no more than 10 seconds on this side and then remove from the pan.
7. Oil the pan before making the next crepe and repeat until all of the egg mixture is gone.
8. Stack the crepes on top of each other.
If you want to shred the crepes to
make Kinshi Tamago for use in Chirashi Sushi, take the stack of crepes
and either slice them into 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide strips as they are
stacked like pancakes, or roll the entire stack and slice them into 1/16
to 1/8 inch wide strips.
The result either way is the same.