Why pay a premium price for pickled ginger or sushi ginger when you can make it at home!
Its way easy and the best thing is you can experiment after the first time and adjust the sugar, salt and rice vinegar more to your liking to get it just perfect for you.
1/2 lb. young ginger root (shin shoga) if you can get it
6 Tbsp sugar
1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
3/4 tsp salt
Making Pickled Ginger
1. Peel the ginger root with a vegetable peeler or use a spoon to scrape off the skin
2. Slice the ginger root as thinly as possible. Paper thin would be ideal, but definitely not thicker than 1/16 inch thick.
3. Place the sliced ginger in a bowl and sprinkle salt over it. Mix well and let sit for 1 hour.
4. Put the ginger slices in a sterilized container or jar.
5. Put the rice vinegar and sugar in a 2 qt. pot and stir until sugar is dissolved.
6. Bring the vinegar and sugar mixture to a boil.
7. Pour the mixture into the jar and allow it to cool.
8. Put the lid on the jar and store in the refrigerator.
The ginger will turn slightly pink if it was young ginger. If not, then it was older ginger, but it will still taste good.
And there you have it!
Like this Page?
Follow me on Pinterest
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.